Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Luke - with hair


Luke now has a full head of hair! Well, almost. There is that little bald spot on the top of his head. The hair turned out a little bit different from the original, but I think I like this better. The original was meant to be viewed from a distance, so the contrast between the light and dark waves in his hair would probably be less pronounced. This mosaic is smaller and more intimate.

Now comes the big problem - what to do with the background. Mother Macrina has added some comments to a previous post suggesting that I use a light yellow marble. She pointed out the website http://www.mosaic-art-gallery.com which has some good examples of Byzantine style portraits.

I don't have much space to fill in for the background and I tried placing the yellow marble that I have to see what it would look like. I fear that a yellow background would accentuate the yellow that I used in the face. I'll play around with some colors and let you know what I find out. Any suggestions are most welcome.

No comments: